Gum disease is a common problem that can be difficult to avoid for most people. Most adults suffer from this problem at some point of time or the other and avoiding it is just next to impossible. You should visit your dentist in Croydon who can help to overcome the fear and treat it by brushing properly and improving your oral hygiene habits.
If you have severe gum disease, then you may work towards it for healthy gums by taking help from a periodontist. This blog discusses how you can have good dental health for stronger teeth and healthy gums.
How you can maintain healthy gums
- Brushing – It is important to clean your gums and teeth efficiently with proper brushing techniques. Make sure you brush at least two times in a day by using Fluoride contained toothpaste and use an electric toothbrush that allows proper cleaning of your teeth and mouth. It is advised to use an electric toothbrush that has a pressure sensor and can help to avoid brushing too hard. Besides, an electric toothbrush cleans thoroughly and allows reaching the back of your teeth comfortably that is usually ignored with manual toothbrushes depending on their size.
Brushing should be done with firmness so that it may not cause damage to the gums. If you brush extremely hard by using the wrong technique, then this can be the reason for receding gums. However, you should never miss the habit of brushing as you will be getting late for office.
- Flossing – You need to floss daily to clean in between the teeth and get rid of bacteria that your brush might not be able to reach. You can also use a mouthwash for your clean teeth and fresh breath though it won’t do much for removing plaque. This is the key to healthy gums and improved dental hygiene.
Importance of seeing a good dentist or dental hygienist
Though you must be looking for the signs and symptoms of gum problems, a reliable dentist in Croydon can diagnose it with certainty, early gum disease or gingivitis, and gum disease or periodontitis and advice on the right course of treatment.
With routine check-ups from your dentist, any oral problems can be detected at an early stage. In case there are no issues, you can be assured of having a healthy mouth and mouth.
What foods to avoid when you have healthy gums
Maintaining proper oral hygiene is crucial but this goes with other lifestyle factors that may have a good impact on your dental health. Certain foods and drinks have the potentiality for damaged gums and these include – foods with a high amount of sugar that may cause inflammation. Earlier, sugar was considered to affect cavities only but new research shows it may lead to gum inflammation.
You can include some anti-inflammatory foods in your diet for healthy tissue in the mouth:
- Oily fish such as – salmon, tuna, mackerel and sardines
Smoking should be avoided at all costs and you need to know the damage it imparts on your overall health. If you smoke one pack daily, then this has six times greater risk of suffering from gum disease. It is advised to quit smoking for your improved dental health and hygiene. Once you suffer from gum disease, smokers will require more time to recover completely due to hindered healing procedure.
Stress can have different implications on your health condition and a strong connection to gum disease is one of them. Can you really get rid of stress? The answer is, obviously not. When you have stress, your oral health can suffer and so, try to maintain improved dental hygiene habits. It is advised not to get addicted to cigarettes, alcohol and coffee to relieve your stress. Soft tissue in the mouth seems to be a good indicator of improved dental health. Ulcers are a sign that stress can have negative impact and thus, action might be required.
How to know if you might have gum problems
- Do your gums bleed at the time of brushing or flossing?
- Are there swollen or red gums?
- Do you find any of your teeth are loose?
- Are you having bad breath that prevents improved dental hygiene and removal of unwanted food particles?
- Does your family have a history of gum disease?
Role of a dentist in taking care of gums
You need to maintain good dental hygiene and make smart decisions about your diet and lifestyle. This can be done by visiting a dentist and discussing your oral concerns so that you may look after the gums carefully. The dentist will conduct a regular check-up of your mouth to check the condition of your teeth and gums. This way, you and your dentist will take care of your oral health and boost confidence level.
The proper function of your gums
Periodontitis can affect both your bones and gums that support your teeth. Your dentist can check your bone level by checking your X rays. The dental hygienist at Smile 4 U Dental Practice in Croydon will take a basic periodontal examination or BPE score during each visit to check the health condition of gums and conduct comprehensive periodontal examinations when required. Your trip to the dentist will enable to detect oral complications and get them treated on time.
3 Important steps for your improved gum health
- Maintain good oral health and hygiene.
- Follow a well-balanced diet and lifestyle for your health condition.
- Go for routine check-ups and discuss your oral concerns to the dentist and dental hygienist.
If you have any serious concerns about your dental health, feel free to visit our dentist at Smile 4 U Dental Practice in Croydon. We will detect the major cause of your oral problem and then suggest the right treatment for your condition. You can be assured of having strong teeth and healthy gums and avoid suffering from any kind of oral disease.